MA

diffuse mildly erythematous mucosa without bleeding found in stomach during endoscopy - what does this mean?

Dr. Lauren Gerson
Gastroenterology 31 years experience
Gastritis: We often find gastritis on upper endoscopy. This could be from usage of aspirin or non-steroidal drugs like motrin or advil (ibuprofen). Another main cause is infection with H. pylori. Your doctor will take biopsies and can treat the H. pylori if present. We often give proton pump drugs like prilosec to heal the inflammation. Other causes cause include alcohol usage, and other types of infections.
Dr. Donald Colantino
Gastritis: This finding May be seen in mild inflammation of the stomach lining(gastritis) and is usually treated with a bland diet,avoidance of alcohol,caffeine and nicotine,as well as medication like prilosec or nexium (esomeprazole) for several weeks. Also irritants like aspirin and NSAIDS like ibuprofen or Aleve are avoided. Your gastroenterologist is best qualified to answer your question and advise you,however.