after spraying my nose with afrin nasal spray for congestion i cannot smell anything. even the most strongest perfumes or food?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Stephen Southard
Not a commonly: Reported adverse effect. So much so that it's not really even commonly mentioned on most adverse effects lists for Afrin (oxymetazoline). There is some evidence that more long term vasoconstriction which Afrin (oxymetazoline) does, can lead to the loss of smell. But alternatively remember, many inflammatory conditions of the nasopharynx can also lead to the loss of smell. If you are worried avoid using it.
Answered on Jul 24, 2019
Dr. Corey Clay
10 years experience Allergy and Immunology
A thought: Loss of smell (and possible cause of congestion to begin with) could implicate the presence of nasal polyps. These are growths caused by various types of inflammation and should be treated with medicine to reduce their size and restore nasopharyngeal health. An Allergist can help.
Answered on Feb 10, 2016