Brookfield, WI

unilateral low leg swelling w/ distended non varicose vein. leg throbs after walking up stairs. general squeeze feeling. abi neg. is this arterial?

Dr. Randy Stevens
General Surgery 24 years experience
May thurner: many possible reasons. Abi being normal would eliminate arterial disease and usually not swelling. An ultrasound should be used to rule out a deep venous thrombosis. May thrurner syndrome can occur if a clot or major artery sits on top of a vein causing venous swelling. Can occur in women. Hope this helps. Thank you for turning to health top.
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 47 years experience
Leg Pain: Your symptoms do not sound like they are arterial. Pain walking up stairs often times is muscular or joint related. Leg swelling is not typical of an arterial problem and I doubt that the distended vein is the cause of your problem. You should see an orthopedic doctor and also have a venous ultrasound.