NC

I have prominent and highly visible veins all over my body. a vein just blew out in my hand for no reason. no injury or pain, should i be concerned?

Dr. Robert Uyeda
General Surgery 46 years experience
Spontaneous: vein rupture is, by itself, not serious unless there is impending skin breakdown. More concerning is your underlying condition of diffuse prominent subdermal blood vessels, which might be indication for systemic disease. You should consult with internist or dermatologist.
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 48 years experience
Prominent veins: Prominent veins can occur for many reason but most commonly they are due to genetics and fair skin. Vein size can also be affected by levels of hydration, exertion and hormones. The most common cause of a vein "blowing out" is trauma to the vein even though you may not have noticed it. I would advise you to see a vein specialist for a venous evaluation and to answer any of your questions.

Last updated Nov 24, 2016