United Kingdom

I am having laser treatment in both eyes next week for glaucoma will this fix the problem?

Dr. Tim Conrad
Ophthalmology 34 years experience
No: Laser glaucoma treatment is effective but does not last forever. In my experience, it lasts 1 to 3 years. It can be repeated. It is no better than eyedrops in lowering the presssure. Glaucoma is not curable and requires life-long treatment to avoid blindness.
Dr. Hussain Elhalis
Ophthalmology 11 years experience
It can help: Buts its not a cure. The goal is to lower your eye pressure but the effects of laser will only last a few years. You may still need to use eye drops and possibly need glaucoma surgery. Unfortunately there is no cure for glaucoma, so its a matter of doing what's necessary to keep the eye pressure low enough to stop the progression. Good luck.

Last updated Apr 23, 2016