Bronx, NY

I have acne keloidalis on the back and top of my head. how do i remove the acne? i tried steroid injections, creams, antibiotics - none work. help me.

Pathology 45 years experience
This is serious: The keloids are stable, but ongoing cystic acne can be controlled by a strong drug such as Accutane available only from a dermatologist. It is extremely unfortunate, even criminal, that this should be allowed to happen to a boy. High-tech procedures may help with the keloids eventually & if you can still manage a sense of humor, you can enjoy life & love despite this extra challenge.
Dr. Amy Miller
family Medicine 26 years experience
Acne keloidalis: This is such a frustrating problem, especially since you have tried all the "usual" treatments. You may need to try accutane-but once again this may or may not work. Surgical excision is kinda the last resort. If it covers a large % of your scalp you may want to look at laser ablation to the area in stages. Both surgery and laser treatments will require down time & significant healing though.
Last updated Jul 5, 2015