why does my doctor want me to stay on my seizure medication if i'm not having seizures anymore?

Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology 19 years experience
Great question!: The idea of medicines for seizures is to prevent seizures. If you have a proven tendency to have a seizure, the medicines should prevent them. It is meant to help you prevent accidents.
Dr. William Dailey
The same reason that if you are trying to read at night you don't shut off the light....it will likely get dark. Everything seems fine as long as you aren't having seizures so the natural tendency is to not want to take them any longer but they are liekly the reason you no longer have seizures. Also, even decreasing the dose can induce seizures in some people. I listen to your doctor.
Feb 10, 2015