Midlothian, IL

mom had a seizure. xrays appear normal. doctor said its most likely from her not taking her blood pressure medication.does this seem a logical reason?

Dr. M. Hytham Beck
General Surgery 43 years experience
Not a real seizure: no that does not explain a real seizure. if she had a simple convulsion or abnormal tick of course it could be explain with anything, a real seizure you need a place in the brain to initiated, like a bleed a tumor, area of infarction or hypoxemia
Dr. Nayana Trivedi
Logical yes.: We cannot give the opinion without knowing the full history. Any time one has High BP ; he or she must be compliant to the medicine. Uncontrolled BP can lead to Stroke and heart attack. "Seizure" could be …. some type of TIA
Dr. Louise Andrew
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
...or several other things. We are assuming the doctor is evaluating for others and continuing to follow her, and this is not a place to get a final diagnosis for something like this. You can help her stay on her medication and follow up with her doctor to be sure there's not some other cause.
May 25, 2015
Dr. David Lipkin
Possibly : Severe hypertension doesn't usually cause seizures unless the patient has malignant hypertension and hypertensive encephalopathy(HE). Patients with HE have headache, nausea, disturbances of consciousnesses, seizures and focal neurological symptoms. Having said that, there are always exceptions to the usual presentation. If no other cause was found, and her BP was very high, it's possible.
Dr. Charles Harvey
Neurosurgery 34 years experience
Unlikely. New onset seizure in an adult should be investigated with a contrast MRI and laboratory tests. About 1/3 of patients will have abnormal imaging, but as many as half of patients have NO identifiable cause for the seizure. Unless her blood pressure was more than 180 systolic, called hypertensive emergency, it is unlikely that the seizure was caused by her blood pressure.
May 25, 2015