What is the mental health axis?

10 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Andrew Berry answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

5 Axes: In the old DSM 4, which most still use, there are 5 Axes of mental health. Axis I is clinical syndroms, Axis II is personality disorder, Axis III is medical conditions that directly bear on current mental health functioning, Axis IV is environmental stressors, and Axis V is the Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF score) which is represented by numbers ranging from 1-100.

Answered 4/24/2016

3.2k views

Dr. Danielle Biggs answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

A coding system: Prior to the publication of the DSM-5, which is the book of mental health disorders. Doctors would place a diagnosis on 5 different axises. Axis I: All psychological diagnoses. Axis II: Personality disorders. Axis III: General medical conditions; and physical disorders. Axis IV: Psychosocial Stressors, Axis V: Global Assessment of Functioning or GAF Score, which ranked severity of problems

Answered 1/28/2016

1.7k views

Dr. Julie Bruno answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Diagnosis summary: The DSM V changed the axis system from 5 to 4, eliminating axis 5 Gaf rating due to rarer subjectivity bias. Hence it is a 4 axis system that acts as a quick reference of a clients diagnosis and other issues impacting their diagnosis. Axis I - clinical Dx, Axis II - personality Dx/learning dx/intellectual Dx, Axis III - medical issues, Axis IV - social/financial/legal issues.

Answered 2/23/2016

1.6k views

Dr. Chiquitha Cornelius answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Mental Health axis: The DSM uses a "multiaxial" system for assessment. This assessment model is designed to provide a comprehensive diagnosis that includes a complete picture of not just acute symptoms but of the entire scope of factors that comprise mental health.

Answered 10/24/2017

818 views