India

For the last 5 days, i get severe throbbing pain inside left ear when i yawn or open my mouth. i do not have a cold. i clench my teeth in my sleep.

Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry 33 years experience
Jaw joint issue?: The muscles that protrude (move forward) the lower jaw attach to the skull in front of the ear canal. In fact, the "front" of the ear canal is the "back" of the jaw joint. If you clench or grind your teeth while sleeping, you can cause muscle spasms, ligament damage, and/or nerve damage to the joint that your brain "feels" as ear pain. Have your dentist make you a proper nightguard.
Dr. John Van der Werff
Dentistry 40 years experience
TMD: You may have a disorder related to your jaw joint or tmj. I would suggest seeing a dentist that can diagnose the problem and offer appropriate non surgical treatment.
Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 57 years experience
See an ENT doctor: This may be a manifestation of tmj, or something directly inside the ear. You need to be examined.. Hope you get better soon..

Last updated Mar 21, 2015