U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old member asked:

I have a bump on the side of my foot up by my pinky it hurts to where shoes for an extended period of time and im wondering what it is?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mike Moore
Dr. Mike Mooreanswered
Family Medicine 9 years experience
Bunion...: Sounds like a bunion, specifically a tailor's bunion, or bunionette as it is called by some doctors. Bunions may be treated conservatively with changes in shoes, padding/shielding, rest, ice, and anti-inflammatory medications (like ibuprofen). If it interferes with your walking or activities of daily life, see your doctor.
Specializes in Internal Medicine
A Callus??: Looks like it could be a callus.. Most often worsened by tight foot wear they can get inflammed easily..And be painful... Try dr.Scholls' callus medicine/pads/and gel inserts for the shoe.. Very important....Buy/use atleast 1/2 size more and preferably wide-width shoes.
Dr. Jeffrey Boggs
Podiatry 30 years experience
Tailors bunion: This fifth metatasal bunion is often called a tailor's bunion or bunionette. It is caused by the fifth metatarsal head being prominated on the outside of the foot.
Last updated Dec 7, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.