Darlington, SC

can wearing tight fitting shoes over a period of time cause nerve damage in your feet or what is called peripheral neuropathy?

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
Tight fitting shoes : May impede circulation or put pressure on certain nerves in the foot which can add to the effect of neuropathy or cause numbness by itself . Nerves need blood supply to work well and that includes blood flowing in and out of the foot ( or anywhere in the body) tight pressure on sensitive nerves in the ankle or between the toes can also cause nerve compression or neuroma formation giving numbness.
Dr. Gary Kugler
Podiatry 31 years experience
Probably not: Tight fitting shoes can cause a localized nerve compression, but probably not permanent nerve damage peripheral neuropathy is often associated with nerve damage from more systemic problems, most commonly diabetes, other causes may include alcohol or drug induced neuropathy, spinal issues such as stenosis, and sometimes the cause is unknown (idiopathic peripheral neuropathy.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Podiatry 41 years experience
No: It can create damage but will usually cause a neuroma and not neuropathy.