how long does swelling last after umbilical hernia repair? i am 46 years old, at a healthy weight, and exercised for 60+ minutes before the surgery.

3 doctor answers
Dr. Creighton Wright
55 years experience General Surgery
Several weeks: The fatty tissue will shrink. The bruising will resorb some residual scar is common follow instructions avoid sit-ups and abdominal strains for a couple of months to minimize recurrence.
Answered on Jun 25, 2018
1
Dr. Erik Borncamp
24 years experience Wound care
2-4 WEEKS: I assume there are no signs of infection (redness, fevers, increased pain). It can last longer if there was a hematoma (collection of blood). If the swelling is growing see your surgeon as this may be a sign of recurrence. If however the swelling is slowly decreasing it can most likely be watched.
Answered on Jun 25, 2018
1
Dr. David Henry
11 years experience General Surgery
~4 days: It depends on how big the hernia was, how much dissection the surgeon had to do, and if it was done open (single larger incision) or laparoscopically (tiny incisions and a video camera). Usually, most of the swelling should be fading by about 4 days after surgery.
Answered on Jun 25, 2018
4