Birmingham, AL

how long does it take a broken ankle to heal? it's been almost two months and i'm still in tremendous pain.

Dr. Victor Bonuel
Healing time : For a fracture is generally from 6-8 weeks. Pain may persist longer than that. It doesn't mean that the fracture hasn't healed completely. Ask your dr if he/she could prescribe some stronger meds. Perhaps you need some physical therapy. Warm packs application may help. Hope you feel better!
Dr. Thomas Graziano
Podiatry 39 years experience
Time to heal: There are many varieties of "ankle fracture". Some involve both the tibia and fibula, others only involve one these bones. The time for healing also depends on the way in which your ankle fracture was treated. Surgical treatment of ankle fractures often heal a bit faster because of the rigid internal fixation usually employed. Either way a 6 to 12 month period for healing is typical.
Dr. Gary Kugler
Podiatry 31 years experience
Varies: It depends on how serious of a fracture you sustained, how it was treated, and how compliant you were with your doctor's orders. Did you have surgery to repair the break or were you placed in a cast? Did you stay off the foot? Severe pain after 2 months is not common, but it may depend on specifics. I recommend you follow up with your specialist who can better assess the healing process.