i'm having really bad pelvic pain my doctor ordered a xray of my pelvis not ultrasound will this show what is causing the pain?

Dr. Wendy Askew
Maybe, but...: Xray is not very good at imaging the internal organs of the pelvis. It is better for looking at bony problems (the hip bones for example), so maybe your dr suspects a bony cause of the pain. Xray isn't great for looking at the uterus, bladder, ovaries, intestines. Keep in mind - that some causes of pain cannot be found on any imaging modalities (endometriosis, for example).
Dr. Robert Gould
Radiology 44 years experience
I agree. The critical issue is whether the pain is of a bony nature or likely from an internal organ. If an internal organ is suspected then an ultrasound would be advised rather than a pelvic plain film.
Mar 9, 2013

Last updated Nov 2, 2015