India

a health checkup showed my sgpt level was 342. an ultrasound showed an early fatty liver infiltration. what can be further effects of the same?

Dr. Kenneth Smith
Fatty liver: Generally benign associated with alcohol diabetes mellitus and obesity. If consume alcohol heavily stop. If obese loose weight and if diabetic control disease with diet exercise and medication. With these improvements should decrease.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 28 years experience
Cirrhosis.: Fatty liver can be an early reaction to consistent heavy drinking or from obesity. If the process continues, especially drinking, it cen lead to cirrhosis, and ultimately end stage liver that is disfunctional and atrophied or wasted. Fatty liver is reversible if you stop whatever is causing it, and the SGPT should go back down. If it persists, see your dr. To find the cause.
Pathology 44 years experience
Thanks for your forthright answer. I've seen too many people ignore the early warnings of liver disease, much to their sorrow later.
Feb 27, 2013
Pathology 44 years experience
Fix this now: I'm very glad this was found and thankfully fixing this up will probably save your health. No alcohol for now; you are likely to be tested for hepatitis b and c, autoimmune hepatitis, hemochromatosis and wilson's; each is very treatable if diagnosed on time, lethal if missed. Or your enzymes may be up and liver fatty because it's time for a switch to an intensive aerobic fitness lifestyle.

Last updated Mar 10, 2017