is it normal for a child to have bow legs.

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Yes: Once pathological conditions such as blount's disease or rickets have been ruled out, some bowing of the legs is normal in toddlers.
Dr. Kathryn Akin
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 37 years experience
Most children have in-toeing or out-toeing at some point. The majority of them will be straight by two years of age after the child has been walking for a year. If there is a question, always consult with your child's health care provider,
Aug 8, 2013
Dr. Shaun Machen
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Should significant bowlegs or knockknees persist into school age children, consult a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon--guided growth using small tension band plates or staples to slow the growth on one side of the growth plate, and allow the other side to continue to grow may be used to straighten the limb deformity.
Sep 10, 2013
Dr. Thomas Riney
entirely dependaent on age
Oct 5, 2013
Dr. Jessica Rubinstein
Yes: Most children are bowlegged in the toddler years.
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Hi Jessica: I agree with you about toddlers, but is not normal in laterchildhood. Welcome top Healthtap.
Feb 22, 2012
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle commented
Orthopedic Surgery 54 years experience
This kid has a knock knee stance.
Aug 12, 2013
Dr. Scott Welker
General Surgery 27 years experience
And is far past the age when bow-leggedness is normal.
Sep 13, 2013
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Yes: Yes, but it depends on their age. Most infants are born bow legged, which resolves usually by age two. By age three, many children have knock-knees. If you're infant is bow legged and two years old or older, or if he/she is has a bow leg only on one side, you should contact your pediatrician.
Dr. Blake Miller
Orthopedic Surgery 13 years experience
Bowed legs: Bow-legs in a child should correct around age 8 or 9. If they do not, this indicates there might be a structural issue. There are many different types of bowing that are associated with different diseases, but the majority of the time it is normal physiological bowing. Early x-rays CAD determine if there are changes in the growth plate and if intervention is needed earlier.
Dr. Peter Tomasello
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
As below: I agree with the other physician . The age of your child is important to know , as well as gender, race, any injuries, family history, milestones and physical exam and x-rays are some of the work up orthopaedic physicians use to evaluate this condition . Usually the deformity of the legspontaneously corrects itself as the child grows . I would recommend an evaluation by a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon for your concerns not saying they need surgery just an evaluation and recommendations.
Dr. Ronald Krinick
Orthopedic Surgery 42 years experience
Bow legs child: Because of the fetal coiling of the legs most babies are born with bow legs and internal tibial torsion. This changes with weight baring and actually goes to a period of knock knee. Your genes play a role as well.
Dr. Nour Baltagi
Vitamin D : Sometimes it is related to vitamin d deficiency. So please make sure of good nutritional support and vit d supplements if not exposed to sun or if of dark skin color. Do not forget to consult with the primary care physician.
Dr. Michael Bruck
Usually: Internal tibial torsion is the most common form of bowed legs in first 2 years. It resolves over time without treatment
Dr. John Michalski
Orthopedic Surgery 36 years experience
Bow legs: I agree with dr mandelbaum. Also check with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon early on for asymmetry, which may denote blount's disease, fracture, or other associated conditions. Genu valgus is a normal finding from age 6 and up.
Dr. Bin Sung
Dr. Bin Sunganswered
Normal : Some bowing is normal for infants to 2-3 year-old. After that, some may change into cross legs till 8 year-old.
Dr. Caroline Cribari
Sometimes: Please call your pediatrician to discuss your concern to be sure no intervention is indicated.
Dr. Alan Mease
A pic is worth: Here is a diagram that illustrates the normal changes in children's legs with age from bow legs to knock knees. Hope this helps.