Dayton, OH

What causes the tsh to be high? my tsh was 5.4 and my t4 was 7.6. no other thyroid tests were given. doc put me on levothyroxine50mg says i'm hypo.

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 30 years experience
Hypothyroidism.: In hypothyroidism, TSH is high because it is a reaction to thyroid hormone/free thyroid hormone being low. The hypothyroid can be due to many causes, but this is the main effect. Your TSH is slightly high at 5.4 (normal 0.4 - 5.0 mu/l) and your T4 is apparently low (normal 64 - 154 nmol/l), so your dr. Treated you with thyroid replacement. You should visit your dr. Routinely for check-up.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 24, 2018