U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Hixson, TN
A 44-year-old female asked:

Hello hope you can help. my mother has been having problems with her hands. mostly on fingers. the skin will split open and bleed like paper cuts.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Raymond Wittstadt
Hand Surgery 38 years experience
Tough problem: This can be a very tough problem to control. As long as your mon does not have a condition like scleraderma, which causes thin , tight skin, I am not aware of any specific treatment for this. Many individuals as they get older will develope fragile skin that easily splits open. Keeping the hands well moisturized with lotion or vaseline and covering with a glove will help.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 13, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.