U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Fremont, CA
A 50-year-old male asked:

I have hardened skin on two my fingers & after some time it get cracked and bleed, very painful. i tried hand lotion and other over the counter creams, but no luck.i am not sure, if this is hand eczema or something else. need some advice on medicine.

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joseph Bark
Dermatology 51 years experience
Hand eczema?: There are certain limitations imposed by this format which include the lack of a photograph of the skin lesions about which you requested information. So it's impossible to tell you the correct diagnosis and/or therapy. My Best advice would be to call and make an appointment with the dermatologist. Hand eczema can be severe, and water is your deadly enemy. Washing your hands frequently and using
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Barry Auster
Dermatology 49 years experience
See below : Use newskin in the cracks and apply Vaseline over it with a band-aid or finger cot
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 23, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.