FL

dds/dmd: side-to-side (pockets better addressed) brushing in a gentle manner using a soft toothbrush is better than up and down brushing?

Dr. Bruce Mulder
Dentistry 44 years experience
Not true: Using a back & forth motion with a soft brush is fine for the chewing surfaces. On the sides of the teeth it is better to use a circular motion at the gum line for proper cleaning & to prevent wearing notches in the teeth.
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dentistry 43 years experience
Electric Toothbrush: Use a quality electric toothbrush for better results. The high - end oral b has various style brush heads that work well for many people, plus it has a separate sensor that shows you (in red) if you are using too much pressure, which could cause gum line recession. See photo enclosed.