can my 8 year old take claritin (loratadine) and ibuprofen together? not sure if her runny nose is due to allergies, but she has a fever.

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Yes: The answer is yes...Antihistamines (claritin, zyrtec, benadryl, (diphenhydramine) etc) and anti-fever (motrin, tylenol) can be taken together. If your child has a fever, it is not likely to be from allergies, however te antihistamines can still be used for sympom relief for upper respiratory symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, etc). If fevers are persistently >100.4, or for any concerns, ask your doctor.
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
Not allergy: A young child doesn't get a fever from an allergic reaction. Tylenol (acetaminophen) or a non steroidal antiinflammatory can help to reduce fever. Antihistamines work well for allergic conditions but not colds or viruses.