Disputanta, VA

5th metatarsal avulsion fracture at base 2 weeks ago. sharp pains in ankle& back of calf. burning sensation at times on top of foot. is this normal?

Dr. Jordan Steinberg
Podiatry 14 years experience
Fracture: You can experience pain in the ankle and back of calf if you are in a cast or a walking boot. I would speak to your doctor for further evaluation.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Need to be examined: Pain is normal up to several weeks or months after an injury. Usually with immobilization pain should be somewhat controlled. Rest and elevation will keep the swelling and pain at a minimum and possibly improve your symptoms, but calf main could be due to a blood clot that would need urgent attention and care.
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Podiatry 35 years experience
Avulsion: Pain is to be expected and diminishing as healing occurs. The pain in the calf could be a clot - see your podiatrist right away.