jaw locking and can't open it. what can i do to open it up?

Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
See Oral Surgeon: See your oral surgeon for evaluation.This is likely a muscle spasm causing you to be closed locked.If you are experiencing this at home, apply moist heat to your muscles on the sides of your face and massage them from the top of your headto the sides in front of the ears down to the bottom of the jaw.If this is chronic, you may need muscle relaxants and antiinflammatories to interrupt the spasms.
Dr. James Vito
Prosthodontics 37 years experience
See a dentist: Your jaw may be dislocated . You want to see an oral surgeon who can replace the jaw back in its socket. Then you want to see an experienced dentist to ascertain why this happened and develop a plan to prevent its re occurrence.
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 26 years experience
See a dentist: Start off with seeing a dentist. They should be able to determine the severity of the problem and get started on treatment.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Oral surgeon: Advanced TMJ problem with disk locked out. You may need jaw manipulation, arthrocentesis, or arthroscopic surgery of your TMJ. See board certified oral & maxillofacial surgeon with TMJ surgery skills.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Stop: Stop trying to force it open, you can only do more damage. See an Oral Surgeon to help you reposition the displaced disc in your joint. Then a determination has to be made as to what caused the dislocationn, and cause must be treated.