Greece

Why didn't mt. surgeon mention that there was 4 nodules found on my liver before lung surgery for a carcinoid tumour?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 23 years experience
D/w your surgeon: I can't speak on your surgeon's behalf. Please ask your surgeon that question.Prior to any surgery like a lung resection, one should figure out what are those liver nodules, an octeotride scan should be done to see whether those nodules in the liver and lung are actually carcinoid nodules. If octeotride scan is not helpful, then a biopsy of the nodule should be done ideally.D/w your md further.
Dr. Mary Maluccio
Surgical Oncology 27 years experience
May be related: Depending on the findings associated with the primary tumor, resection of a primary carcinoid is reasonable even in the setting of disease in the liver. Disease in the liver can become a problem and therefore clarification of what the lesions represent and how to watch them over time should be discussed with the md.

Last updated Feb 28, 2014