How to tell if i have tongue cancer?

Dr. Manoj Reddy
Radiation Oncology 25 years experience
Symptoms: Tongue cancer is separated anatomically anteriorly (front portion) within the oral cavity, and posteriorly base of tongue (back portion) within the oropharynx. Males, >40, smoke or chew tobacco, alcohol, chronic oral sores, poor dental hygiene are at highest risk. Any abnormality on the tongue should be evaluated and if required biopsied. Early detection leads to high cure rates. Cancer.Gov.
Dr. Thomas Yash
Dentistry 47 years experience
You can't: The most common cancer in the mouth is on the lateral(side) borders of the tongue. However you cannot determine if you have cancer without a thorough exam and biopsy. There are many lesions of the tongue. Most not cancerous. See your dentist or oral surgeon for a consult about your problem and concerns.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Signs, symptoms: See oral surgeon or ENT doc if you have any of these symptoms: Persistent mouth sore, persistent mouth pain, a lump or thickening in the cheek, a white/red patch on the gums, tongue, tonsil, or lining of the mouth, a sore throat, hoarseness or feeling that something is caught in the throat that does not go away, difficulty swallowing/chewing.