today marks my 2nd week post op after bunion surgery- is it normal to feel soreness and bruising during the second week?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Michele Colon
26 years experience Podiatry
Yes: It could feel like that for anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months. It depends on many factors such as which type of bunion procedure was performed, whether or not you are following instructions, how much walking and standing you are doing, what type of shoes you are wearing, etc.
Answered on Jan 15, 2016
3
Dr. Libby Putnam
12 years experience Podiatry
Yes.: After bunion surgery you may be bruised for up to 3-4 weeks, you may be sore for up to 4-6 weeks, you will definitely be stiff (ask your surgeon when you should start range of motion physical therapy exercises at home), and depending on how aggressive the procedure was you may be swollen for up to 4-6 months.
Answered on Mar 30, 2013
Dr. Payam Rafat
22 years experience Podiatry
Rest and relax: After bunion surgery your best bet would be to rest and elevate your feet. Post operative pain will be less if you limit the swelling by elevating the feet. Pain, inflammation, and swelling may last several weeks or months. If you are concerned discuss it with your surgeon.
Answered on Dec 9, 2013