My mom has breast cancer and is having surgery. how serious is it if she must have surgery?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 47 years experience
All breast lumps: Wind up having surgery if they are at all suspicious. The surgery itself is not serious. It is the implications of what the surgery finds (nodes, margins, size, receptors) that provide information on seriousness and need for/ option for further treatment.
Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
It depends: Breat cancer is one of the cancers for which we have good treatments and upwards of 80% cure rate. Yet it is difficult to predict how one patient will do as we must monitor them for several years before we can be sure that a person is trouble free. Having surgery does not neceassarily mean that it is bad as surgery is only done if it is relatively early cancer.