is it okay to wear my retainer more than my orthodontist tells me to?

12 doctor answers
Dr. ILAN ABRAMOWITZ
14 years experience Dentistry
Retainer wear: Absolutely! just don't wear it less than they recommend.
Answered on Jun 25, 2015
2
Dr. Brian Waggle
28 years experience Dentistry
Yes yes yes!: A retainer is made to passively retain your finished smile results. Over time, teeth may relapse, or shift due to stresses in and around your mouth. Tongue and lip pressure, a bad habit, like biting on a pencil or a finger nail, or a parafunctional muscular process, like tongue thrusting, may contribute to relapse. A retainer holds your teeth still to counteract these forces.
Answered on Apr 21, 2014
1
Dr. David Schleimer
37 years experience Orthodontics
Generally yes!: Wearing it less is the real problem, with the resultant relapse. It also depends on the type of retainer: the older hawley style retainer of wire and acrylic if worn 24/7 without adequate hygiene, can cause a candidal or other infection of the hard palate. I tell kids to leave it out one night per week to let the palate breathe, and brush the tissue suface very well.
Answered on Dec 9, 2013
Dr. Hilary Baskin
27 years experience Orthodontics
Yes: There is never a too much.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
Dr. Kenneth Zipkin
47 years experience Dentistry
Yes: Always yes.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
Dr. Jose Chacon
17 years experience Orthodontics
Yes: It will not hurt at all. It will give you extra protection. What he or she is recommending, is usually the minimum required to keep your teeth in place.
Answered on Mar 28, 2013
Dr. Felicia Mata
24 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Forever : You need yo wear your retainer forever. Follow the recommended full time wear by your orthodontist and every night right after. Relapse is 40% and you have to protect your smile and investment.
Answered on Dec 9, 2013
2
2 comments
Dr. Felicia Mata
24 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Provided original answer
It is nice to have enough space to share with you my opinion which I gathered from different articles, other practitioners who shared their experience, and my own observation...If corrected occlusion is not retained especially in the first year braces was removed, the relapse is even much higher. The outcome of treatment is based on skeletal or structural pattern, tongue position, orofacial habits, growth potential,..to name a few. As long as we are living, bone has the capacity to remodel and change. Face mature as we age and teeth continue to push forward that can crowd specially the mandibular anteriors...If correction was achieved before the periodontal tissues mature, relapse is lower.
Apr 8, 2013
Dr. David Schleimer
37 years experience Orthodontics
I don't understand your statement about the 40%. Please explain, it seems so arbitrary and generic, as all individuals react differently, present with a wide spectrum of malocclusions and therefore experience relapse over a similarly wide spectrum. I do want to know how you arrived @ 40%, thanks.
Mar 22, 2013
Dr. Jeffrey Yost
23 years experience Dentistry
Absolutely!: Wearing you retainer is a good thing and is absolutely necessary. When you stop wearing your retainer, your teeth will move back to where they were. Wearing your retainer more than your orthodontist says will not hurt anything. That is the minimum you have to wear it, and it is better to be safe than sorry.
Answered on Jun 8, 2013
2
Dr. April Ziegele
23 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Yes!!: There is no "too much" when it comes to your retainer. Do take it out to eat, brush and floss your teeth, but the more its in, the better your retention will be.
Answered on Jun 24, 2014
2
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience Dentistry
As long as: There is no harm to wearing your retainer more than your orthodontist advises with these two caveats: first, it may not really be necessary. Second, the more you wear your retainer, the more important it is to make sure your teeth are clean and spotless so that you are not prone to cavities and\or enamel decalcifications.
Answered on Jun 25, 2015
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Usually OK: But just to make sure, check with your Orthodontist. Usually more is better.
Answered on Sep 21, 2015
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
35 years experience Pain Management
Follow Instructions: and remember that all patients are individuals and nothing works for everyone. There are variety of retainers. It is important that you wear your retainers exactly like you have been instructed.
Answered on Sep 21, 2015