does that popcorn ceiling contain asbestos and will it be bad for my baby?

Dr. Danielle Jones
Dr. Danielle Jonesanswered
Maybe: Some popcorn ceilings that were applied before the 1977 ban do contain asbestos. Asbestos is typically only harmful if the material is allowed to release into the air - such as during removal processes. Because it is potentially harmful if inhaled you should contact a local home inspector for information on how to address the situation and if your particular situation poses a risk.
Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
Low risk: Not all popcorn ceilings contain asbestos, and since its ban after the Toxic Substance Act of 1976, it is no longer used in homes and schools. Asbestos only poses a risk if inhaled, so generally only a problem during installation or removal. If you have an older home, getting the testing done is reasonable if you remain concerned.