Is it safe to put emla (lidocaine and prilocaine) cream on my ear lobe when removing the back of my earring(since its stuck tightly)?if yes, what's the method & how much to apply

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Not recommended: I dont think applying Emla (lidocaine and prilocaine) is a good idea. Emla (lidocaine and prilocaine) must be able to contact and penetrate the area to make it numb. Doubtful it will be able to reach the earring hole if the earring is already in place. Also, the cream may make the earring slippery and harder to grasp. It may also react with the earring and corrode it (just a speculation).

Answered 1/16/2016

5.4k views

EMLA (lidocaine and prilocaine): You could. It is a combination of two topical (acts on contact with the skin) local anesthetics: lidocaine/prilocaine. Make sure you are not allergic to any of them. Wash before the area and apply a thick layer to cover the area you want. Do not rub it into the skin and do not put a second dose. If you take any other medicine go to ask your md because can interact with a bunch.

Answered 9/25/2016

5.1k views