How long does it take to recover from a dental implant?

Dr. John Kong
Dentistry 19 years experience
Depends: It depends on several factors. The number of implants placed, additional procedures like bonegrafting, sinus lifts, etc. Done at time of implant placement. Your medical history, personal healing physiology, the experience and technique of the surgeon (periodontists and oral surgeons receive extensive training in implant surgery). Obviously, the more involved the procedures, more possibility there is for down time due to your body's response to the surgery (swelling, brusing, pain). In general, most people experience very little discomfort after undergoing simple, uneventful single implant surgery and can go to work the next day.
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry
Not long: Most procedures are quick an uninvolved that by the next day, all is well. Each case is different, so ask your surgeon what they think.
Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral &Maxillofacial Surgery 19 years experience
Depends: Many factors play a role but usually a few days. Of course there is the assumption that you are in good health, you do not smoke, that you are compliant with the doctor's instructions and that your surgery will run smooth without any complications. Good luck. Usually having one dental implant is a breeze.
Dr. Leonard Tau
Specializes in Dentistry
Not long at all: Recovery from a dental implant is usually very fast. I actually go with my patients to a lot of the surgeries and the recovery is so little right now if done by a well trained specialist.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
Variable. : Depends upon where it is located and how much treatment was required to place it. Many of my patients go back to work the next day, some the same day. If we do a full arch (jaw), they usually wait about 5 days. After the bone grows around the implant, about 12 - 16 weeks, the final restoration can be completed.
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Buianswered
Dentistry 24 years experience
2-3 days.: If the implant site has adequate bone, there should be minimal pain or swelling from the procedure. Most of these patient only needs 2 doses of 400 mg Ibuprofen the first 12 hours. If the site needs bone graft, swelling and pain may occur but to the maximum of 3 weeks. If the pain persist past 3 weeks, implant most likely will fail to osseointegrated.
Dr. Gary Herskovits
41 years experience
One hour: Today implants are like placing a filling, they are easier and less traumatic then , most extractions. Go back to work same day. ..
Dr. James Vito
Prosthodontics 38 years experience
Not long : Usually it takes a day or two if non event ie no bone grafting or extraction involved.
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
Periodontics 43 years experience
Depends: It depends on what you mean by recover. You should prepare for a few days of pain that may require medication, but you still should not chew that area until instructed. I hope this helps.
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dentistry - Prosthodontics 20 years experience
One day: The procedure for a dental implant is very simple and straight-forward. If you did well with a tooth extraction, you will do just fine with the dental implant surgery. Most patients have little or no discomfort following the procedure. Most all patients go back to work the next day. Keep smiling !
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dentistry 44 years experience
One to two days: The picture in this answer is my own implant being place to replace a fractured ul first molar. The tooth was extracted, implant placed and the area grafted all in one visit. I was uncomfortable for one day, but nothing !motrin couldn't handle and by the second day i was just a little site. At weeks end, what really bothered me was the left over hoe. So it varies slightly for all, but not serious.
Dr. Charles Lamberta
45 years experience
Recovery: Surprisingly when done judiciously there is very little pain following dental implant surgery. In the majority my patients report very little discomfort lasting no more than two or three days. Of course it depends on the extent of the procedure.
Dr. Lokesh Rao
Dentistry 14 years experience
Recovery: From placement, I would say the tenderness and any swelling, if any, should be pretty much resolved with 1-2 weeks (max). I usually recommend ibuprofen with tylenol (acetaminophen) one hour prior to the surgery. This way, we're not playing catch up with the pain mechanism. As far as integration is concerned 3-5 months (mandible) and 4-6 months (maxilla).
Dr. Lokesh Rao
Dr. Lokesh Rao commented
Dentistry 14 years experience
Provided original answer
I placed 9 implants on a patient and she had no pain whatsoever. Whereas, I placed one implant on a patient with diabetes. The pt was unable to take ibuprofen and his tenderness lasted a little bit longer that expected.
Feb 10, 2015
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Two factors: 1. surgical approach. 2. If additional surgery is performed (e.g. sinus lift). The recovery time and post op discomfort for this approach may be 4-7 days and require the use of post op prescription pain meds.
Dr. Maryam Chiani
Dentistry 30 years experience
Short recovery: Most people recover very nicely and in a short amount of time. Keep in mind that a person's stats of health plays an important role in any healing process
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Days: And the discomfort level is usually no higher than "achy." For least discomfort, have procedure done by a specialist who does these very frequently, an Oral Surgeon, Periodontist, or Prosthodontist.