is brocoli good for hyperthyroidism ?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Gloria Fong
Won't hurt: I have not heard of brocoli affecting your thyroid good or bad. Brocoli is a good source of nutrients and fiber.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
2
Dr. Thomas Rohde
35 years experience General Practice
Goitrogen: Raw cruciferous veggies are known as "goitrogens" as they can interfere with deiodination leading to enlargement of the thyroid or a goiter. In theory eating lots of broccoli may help with hyperthyroidsim as it will affect T4 (inactive) to T3 (liothyronine) (active hormone) conversion. I'd suggest higher doses of Alpha lipoic acid which will help naturally manage it - 600mg - 2-3 caps tid. Follow levels.
Answered on Jan 15, 2015
7