Singapore

Do i need an x-ray even though my ankle doesn't hurt but foot is bruised and is a little swollen? i twisted it 3 days ago.

Dr. Pouya Shafipour
It depends: If you've been walking on it and the pain is getting better, then no but if you can't walk on it and the pain and swelling isn't going away then see a doctor for x-ray. Otherwise rest ice it elevate it and take some antiinflammatories like advil or aleve (naproxen).
Dr. Rita Corona
Sprained Ankle: No, you don't need an xray. For the most part they may miss small fractures and now you have exposed yourself to unneeded radiation. Just ice, wrap with ace bandage, elevate and rest it. It may need to be immobilized with a boot for a bit but this would be the same treatment for the majority of small fractures. Good rule is always listen to your body and see your doc if gets worse.
Dr. Ricardo Reyes
undefined 30 years experience
I do believe you need to have it seen by a doctor in order to asses the need for either an X-ray,crutches etc.
Dec 14, 2012

Last updated Aug 2, 2015