once in a while i put the elbow grease on my teeth brush. can i damage the enamel brushing roughly in this manner?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Yes and no: Hard brushing is more likely to cause gum recession. Once the gums recede and expose the roots of the teeth they can be damaged by hard brushing. Brush gently but thoroughly at least 2x/day for a full 2 minutes by the clock.
Dr. Kevin Hanley
Orthodontics 43 years experience
Probably not: By using too much pressure during brushing, you run the risk of damaging your gum tissue. This is more likely than damaging your enamel. Enamel is very hard and it takes a lot to damage it. However, your gum tissue is very tender and can be damaged easily. You shouldn't apply too much pressure while brushing to help keep your gum tissue healthy.