Ireland

i don't vigorously brush my teeth.. just as gently as possible..with a medium bristled brush..am i harming my gums n enamel?shud i throw my new brush?

Dr. David Epstein
Cosmetic Dentistry 24 years experience
Soft or electric: electric tooth brushes are ideal as you can "brush" as hard as you want, without causing damage to your teeth or gums. However if you choose a manual toothbrush a soft bristled brush is recommended. I usually recommend to my patients to get the Oral B or Sonicare and a Waterflosser or Waterpik if they don't like to floss.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Not recommended: Medium toothbrushes are not recommended by dental professionals. Users of medium bristled brushes usually omit the important areas which need brushing the most: near the margins of the gingiva and dental papilla. This omission is because the medium brush hurts the soft tissue when the toothbrush touches the area. The soft brushes reduce trauma to the gingiva and promote good dental health.