Was in accident&air bag deployed no injuries but now have chronic facial pain & toothaches in molars, why? nerve damage?

12 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Ryan Woodman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Very possible: It is very possible that one of the branches pf your facial nerve was traumatized by the airbag hitting your face. I would see your dentist first (if you havent yet) just to rule out tooth or bone injury. My next step would be a referral to a neurologist to try and diagnose the problem. Fortunately, most of these types of injuries are temporary and you will feel better with time. Good luck!

Answered 3/13/2016

5.4k views

Dr. James Wright answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Radiographs: Radiographs are an invaluable tool to help dentists to diagnose teeth that are infected. When trauma occurs the teeth can get separated from nerve/blood supply and the tooth dies. This is more common on front teeth. I would also check with a neurologist.

Answered 12/31/2016

5.4k views

Dr. Kim Capehart answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Evaluation Needed: It is possible but you need to go to the doctors for x-rays and thorough examination to determine the exact cause and determine a treatment plan to get you out of pain.

Answered 5/26/2015

4.9k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Evaluation: Can be a number of things. TMJ high on list. First see oral surgeon, if TMJ, seek referral to TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

Answered 5/26/2015

2.8k views