missed a large step and sprained my ankle its swollen but not severe. its also bruising and a lot of pai. the pains going up the side of my leg help?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Gregory Harvey
37 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
Ankle sprain: Get off of it and use crutches, ice, elevation and ibuprofen. You may want to get a x-ray to make sure it's not fractured.
Answered on Jun 1, 2017
Dr. Ketan Mody
17 years experience Sports Medicine
Sprain vs fracture: So usually when you roll your ankle you can either fracture the ankle bone (usually fibula) or sprain the ligaments. If your pain is on the outside of the ankle and you can't put weight on it, you need to have it xrayed. Normally, if you can walk on it, it isn't a fracture (but that isn't always the case). Soft tissue pain is usually a sprain and should resolve but regardless you would need pt.
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
3
Dr. Randy Lisch
37 years experience Podiatry
Read below: Make sure to ice, elevate ad compress this with an ace bandage for the first 48 hours. Stay off of this as much as possible. If this is still painful or the swelling increases, make sure to see your podiatrist or orthopedist. Good luck.
Answered on Feb 13, 2015
2