Will i be able to run after my osteotomy? before my knee pain, i was an avid runner. will i be able to return to running after my osteotomy?

Dr. Timothy Trainor
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Possibly: If you are having a high tibial osteotomy, it is possible for you to run after a full recovery from surgery; however, these osteotomies are done to unload a joint that is strarting to become arthritis. Therefore, running, or other high impact activities, are not typically recommended following an osteotomy.
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Don't do it: You may be able to run but you shouldn't the constant pounding from running will continue to cause deterioration in the knee and may lead to significant progression of the arthritis. Try non-weight bearing exerises such as cycling.

Last updated Nov 9, 2014