Seattle, WA

stress reaction-outside of knee on growth plate (distance runner age 18). now getting back to running but have pain below the previously injured stress reaction. is referred pain common or is it shin splints? knee is good, but upper shin now hurts.

Dr. Peter Barry
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
Give it a rest : stress fractures occur when repetitive force makes bone re absorb. Your osteoblasts which make new bone are overwhelmed by osteoclasts which remove bone. This process is a balance between bone makers ( osteoblasts ) and bone removers (osteoclasts). You should keep your conditioning swimming or biking for cardio and stop running until you have no symptoms and then wait six weeks more for the bone