I think i have thrust mouth do i need to see a doctor to treat it? got new upper dentures a week ago and on amoxicillion antibodics

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 47 years experience
It : It is not clear why you thing you have thrush (candidiasis). It typically can manifest itself as red irritated tissues or a white coating on the tissues. Long term denture wearers who do not remove them at night are at risk for this yeast infection. Also, individuals who are on long term antibiotic treatment are also at risk of developing candida. Treatment typically takes the form a an oral antifungal medication, usually Mycelex (clotrimazole) troches that are dissolved in the mouth, and a through disinfection of the dentures. These things can only be done effectively by your dentist. Failure to treat this in a timely manner can result in spread of the infection to the throat which makes it more difficult to treat and will make eating difficult. At a minimum contact your dentist for an exam to make a proper diagnosis, it may be nothing more than irritation from your dentures or it could be another condition that requires a different treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Ronald Konig
Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry
I : I applaud dr. Funari's answer, very thorough and accurate. If you live in an area that has an oral pathologist, i would suggest you contact him or at lease your dentist can refer you to one. It could be something else that warrants attention.
Dr. Jean Edderai
Cosmetic Dentistry 37 years experience
I : I think your new dentures are causing you those little blisters, and you may need some minimal adjustment, please call your dentist to check those spots (most likely hight points of your denture rubbing against your gums or soft tissue involved in your chewing motion or movements) call your dentist asap, to adjust your denture. Don't forget to maintain your denture clean at all times! good luck!
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 43 years experience
See your dentist: See your dentist. You should be seeing them for adjustment anyway. May need to put you on medication for the thrush. Don't wait.
Last updated May 8, 2019