If i am only 30, will insurance cover my blepharoplasty? i am only 30 but i feel like my heavy lids affect my vision. will insurance turn me down for this procedure because of my age?

6 doctors weighed in across 5 answers

This : This is determined by the presence of a visual field deficit. You will need to contact you insurance plan to review their guidelines for coverage. Often patients will need to have a visual field test performed by an ophthalmologist to obtain such clearance in relation to surgery on the upper eyelids. Be healthy and be well, james m. Ridgway, md.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Thomas Lamperti answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

Insurance : Insurance coverage for blepharoplasty is usually based more on documented visual field blockage rather than strictly by age. They will also typically require medical photographs of your eyes to further assess the severity of your problem. Your surgeon should be able to give you a better idea of whether you're a candidate for surgery.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Benjamin Cilento answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

There : There are two kinds of blepharoplasty... Upper lid and lower lid... Lower lids are generally not covered by insurance.... Upper lid blepharoplasty is only covered if the redundant skin is hooding the eye enough to cause a visual field defect... Hope this helps... Bwc.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Robert Strimling answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Usually : Usually not in someone 30 years of age, but check with your insurance company as to coverage.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Blepharoplasty: If there is a functional issue documented by your eye doctor, your insurance may cover it, depending on your plan. Insurance does not cover cosmetic procedures.

Answered 10/31/2014

3.7k views