Can capsular contracture after breast reconstruction be fixed without more surgery? i'm worried about this possible side effect of breast reconstruction. my procedure will be two stages, so between that and my original mastectomy, three surgeries is plent

7 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Karen Vaniver answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Thei : Thei first goal is to prevent capsular contracture, this is done by making sure the breast pockets are free of blood and infection. Placing the expanders and subsequent implants under the muscle helps to reduce capsular contracture. Early evaluation suggest that the use of accular dermal matrix may help reduce capsular contracture. Appropriate drainage will help divert blood and other fluids that can lead to inflammation. I personally believe that early massage with a castor oil based serum is very helpful in maintaining soft pockets. This massage should be done for 4-6 weeks after each surgery. Once a capsular contracture occurs, it may successfully be managed early with massage, castor oil based serum, and the use of an asthma medicine, such as singular or accolate (zafirlukast). Surgery may be required in those patients who do not respond to non-invasive measures.

Answered 5/6/2020

5.3k views

Dr. Leonard Grossman answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Once : Once you form a capsular contracture that is serious enough to bother you, your only options are revision surgery and/or having the implants removed permanently. The only way to combat contractures is to start with early implant massage, it is the only preventative means available today. One last option not many doctors speak of, is to have fat transfer for breast augmentation if extra fat is available on you. Good luck from nyc. For more info visit www.Drgrossman.Com.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Otto Placik answered

Specializes in Surgery - Plastics

Capsular : Capsular contracture (cc) following breast reconstruction is increased with a history of radiation therapy, but this is not something you should avoid if recommended. Of course the best way to avoid cc, is to not use an implant and consider reconstruction with your own tissues alone or fat grafting. Other than that, if an implant is inevitable, some feel a textured implant under the muscle incorporating acellualr dermal matrix, with post operative implant displacement exercises and prophylactic off label use of Accolate (zafirlukast) are recommendations which may diminish the risk of cc.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Robert Whitfield answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Breast cancer: I don't want to you feel worse but it typically involves other surgery down the line for maintenance of the implants. Regardless of whether you have breast reconstruction or breast augmentation you are having a medical device. No device is interneded to be permanent. These are man made and potentially need to be replaced every 10 years.

Answered 3/21/2014

5k views

Dr. David Levens answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Sometimes: Capsular contracture is one of the most vexing problems in implant surgery, cosmetic or reconstructive. Causative theories, preventative measures and treatments abound which have improved the prognosis over the years, but the problem still exists. With implant reconstruction it is always possible; women requiring radiation are especially prone. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Answered 9/28/2016

4.7k views