I refuse a regular mamo as i have breast implants..afraid they will pop! i get ultrasounds..is that ok? what are odds they pop? never had any issue with the implants..they are 15yrs old..saline...325cc in each..never hard...never any problems...i would l

Dr. Subramaniam Arumugam
Plastic Surgery 57 years experience
Agree : Agree with dr george marosan. Some of my patients did not want the saline implants any longer and they did not want to spend the money for the surgical removal - so, I have punctured them - without any problems (and i never removed them). You can get the mammogram done, few weeks after that.
Dr. George Marosan
Plastic Surgery 39 years experience
A : A mammogram can potentially break implants if you have capsular contractures and they feel firm. An alternate to mammogram would be an mri, but this tends to be more expensive. If you would like them out, a simple solution is to have your plastic surgeon deflate them in the office. All it takes is a small needle poke through your skin and draw the saline out. Your breasts will look saggy and deflated first, but in about two weeks the tissues tend to tighten up nicely. The shells can stay in the pocket, or later on can be removed under local anesthesia through a small incision. This is much cheaper then to have an operation to have them removed. Good luck.
Dr. Leonard Grossman
Plastic Surgery 37 years experience
I : I agree with dr marosan, but you can have mammograms especially if the implants are under the muscle. Sonograms are not sensitive enough for cancer detection. Good luck from nyc. For more info visit www.Drgrossman.Com.
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics 35 years experience
Mammograms : Mammograms rarely cause the rupture of a breast implant which is more commonly attributed to wear and tear. Although your ultrasounds are reassuring, they are not the primary diagnositic tool of choice. If you are trying to avoid a mammogram, you would be better off using an mri.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016