Is a revision rhinoplasty more expensive than a first rhinoplasty? i was never completely happy with how my original rhinoplasty turned out, and i've recently been considering revision rhinoplasty. in researching the procedure, i'm noticing that costs see

Dr. Richard Arden
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
I : I am assuming you do not wish to return to your original surgeon whereby some of the cost issues could be reduced or waived for revision. In my practice i typically do not charge a patient who has had previous surgery elsewhere any more for their secondary rhinoplasty than i would charge someone for their primary one unless there are unusual circumstances or anticipated prolonged operating times. I suspect that the reason others might charge more is that there is increased complexity in performing revision surgery, in some cases longer surgical times involved that may require distant graft harvests ( such as rib or ear cartilage), and increased expertise and potential risks with revisional surgery (depending on the problem) that is involved.
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery 21 years experience
In : In general revision rhinoplasty is more difficult owing to the fact that there is pre-existing scar that must be addressed. Not all revisions are created equal, however, so some revision surgeries may not necessarily be any more than a primary procedure.
Dr. Catherine Winslow
Facial Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Complexity=cost: Hi! revision rhinoplasty is different in every individual, some are complex requiring cartilage grafts and some are simple tweaks. I would recommend speaking with several different experienced rhinoplasty surgeons for recommendations and quotes, and see what is possible for you. Good luck!
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
Depends: Major revision rhinoplasty tends to be more complicated than primary rhinoplasty, so it is usually more expensive. Also, many times grafts will have to be obtained from other areas like the ear or rib, so that increases the complexity, time, and costs.

Last updated Mar 2, 2019