U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A male asked:

Ear wax stuck in ear? i took a shower last night and i still have some sort of water/wax buildup impairing my hearing in my left ear. i tried dropping rubbing alcohol in it and using an expired tube of debrox, but no luck, yet also no physical pain.

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 27 years experience
Hello. : Hello. Your doctor (or an ear/nose/throat doctor= otolarygologist) can extract excess ear wax quite easily. If impacted wax is decreasing your hearing - he or she can use a wax extractor. Please don't stick objects in your own ears to remove it- as you could injure yourself. If it is fluid in the outer ear, you might have otitis externa (but that can be uncomfortable) or maybe water from your shower. If you have fluid in your middle ear, it might otitis media. Otitis media can sometimes just be a fluid build up and at other times can be caused by an infection.I don't recommend placing expired substances in the external ear canal. To be frank, i can't tell the location of your symptoms. So, if it remains problematic, would have it examined to determine the etiology and then options to resolve it can be provided.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Richard Arden
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 39 years experience
As : As long as you have no history of eardrum perforation, the simplest thing to do is buy a baby bulb syringe, fill it with luke warm water, and self-irrigate the ear in a dependent position. This usually works after the wax has been softened by a cerumenolytic medication (debrox). If this doesn't work have your pcp or ENT physician take a look.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 28, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.