Problems with kids and 12 year molars? our son is about to turn 14 and his 12 year old molars have not yet erupted. our dentist says that x-rays show that they are in his jaw. if they don't erupt, could this cause any problems for him? could they be need

5 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

He's : He's got a slow eruption pattern. Are the roots formed? You did not say. Are the rest of his permanent teeth in? Are they aligned or askew? You may want to consult with an orthodontist about your options to have them orthodontically brought into position, especially if he is going to have orthodontic care. And no, they are not removed like wisdom teeth. He needs his second molars.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Steven Hart answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

I : I agree with the other responders that an xray evaluation by your dentist or pediatric dentist can determine whether these teeth are simply delayed in erupting or are impacted (like 3rd molars or wisdom teeth can be). Impacted teeth are teeth that are submerged below the gum and/or bone and will not fully erupt into the mouth (either because of the angle that they are erupting or because the jaw size may not be sufficiently large enough to accommodate these teeth). Again a radiographic evaluation should answer your question.

Answered 6/8/2018

5.3k views

Dr. Neil McLeod answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

Not : Not all children have teeth that erupt in the recognized ideal time sequence. There is a gaussian distribution of eruption patterns with classical variation. Some have teeth that erup early and some late. Your son is late. You should really discuss this matter with your dentist and possible an orthodontist. You want to make sure that there is enough room for his molars to erupt properly. I don't think that extraction is the answer. X-rays will help provide the answer. Dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

Answered 1/9/2018

5.5k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Not unusual: Sometimes 12 yr molars erupt late, especially if wisdom teeth congenitally missing. X-rays should reveal maturity of tooth roots, angle of tooth, whether there's still bone over the tooth or just gum. If your dentist thinks the teeth may need help coming in you may want to talk with an orthodontist.

Answered 11/2/2019

5.1k views