A male asked:

Worried about crown cemented in with duralon. dentist says he cemented crown in permanently but still can be removed. i recently had a crown put on my upper molar because the tooth was cracked. trouble is the tooth hurt even worse when i bit on it with th

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Duralon : Duralon is a final cement. It should not leak out. Your description is a bit confusing, but if you are still sensitive on that tooth, cementing the crown with duralon may have been a bit premature. I understand your concern. But if it is in with duralon you should be ok.
Dr. Jason Muck
Dentistry 28 years experience
Duralon : Duralon is a permanent cement and it will not allow for easy removal. It is possible that if the tooth was not painful prior to the placement of the temporary crown, the bite may have been off. However, the pain may be a sign of nerve damage. I would not be concerned about the durelon leaking, but i would be concerned about determining the source of the pain. If it is a nerve issue, then root canal therapy may required, which would involve drilling through your new crown rather than removing it. Moreover, the tooth may be fractured through the root, and even if the tooth is crowned and root canal therapy performed you may still be in pain.
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry 58 years experience
Bite: Duralon was and is said to be a permanent cement. I have found that after about 13 years, the cement loiosens and recementation is needed. I think your pain problem may be related to your bite. If the tooth was alive and asymptonatic before cementation, and it hurts now, it is frequently a bite problem. Duralon expands a little when it sets.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016