My seven year old has a toothache, what should i do? i've made an appointment with my dentist, but it's not until late tomorrow. is there anything i can do between now and then other than give him some ibuprofen to help ease the pain?

5 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Steven Hart answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Short : Short term you can use Ibuprofen elixir (a dose recommended by your physician or dentist) and an over the counter topical anesthetic (such as oragel) can be enough to keep the pain at ease. Make sure your child eating and use a soft diet if harder foods are uncomfortable for them to chew. At seven years old there can be a number of teeth erupting into the mouth so hopefully this is a simple case of "cutting a tooth". Obviously, your child needs a definitive diagnosis and the appropriate treatment from your dentist.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Neil McLeod answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

Please : Please try tylenol (acetaminophen) a pain killer, and that way you can both get some sleep before the big day. Don't mention anything about "we're just going to the doctor's office" children know that code for I am going to be hurt and stabbed. Advil (ibuprophen) is not a pain killer, it is an anti inflammatory, which can reduce the swelling that can cause pain, but i suspect your laddie has a hole in his tooth, so try the pain killer. Dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Brett Noorda answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Tylenol, (acetaminophen) too: Until your child is seen, control the pain for him/her. Ibuprofen is good. Be careful not to give too much, so follow the dosing instructions very carefully. If your child's pain returns prior to the next Ibuprofen dose, give him/her a dose of tylenol (acetaminophen), (acetaminophen) again following dosage instructions carefully. Alternate dosing Ibuprofen and tylenol (acetaminophen) as needed for up to 10 days until the problem is fixed.

Answered 5/13/2016

5.2k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Ice & analgesic: Try cold compresses. Advil /ibuprofin/motrin alternated with tylenol (acetaminophen). Do not exceed package directions.

Answered 7/4/2013

5k views