I have a vein in my upper right thigh that seems to be protruding out as the day goes on. the doctor said its not varicose. i'm 33 white female approximately 5'10 and 140 pounds. i'm physically active and am currently training for a half marathon.

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Neil Halin answered

Specializes in Interventional Radiology

When we stand up, blood tries to fall to the floor due to gravity. The valves in our veins help prevent this by only allowing the blood to flow back up to your heart. Sometimes veins become abnormal and when you stand up, the pressure of the blood makes them enlarge and bulge. You can get an ultrasound examination to see if you have problems such as incompetent (leaky) valves in you leg veins. If this vein bothers you cosmetically, you can have it treated with several methods. In most cities there are interventional radiologists and vascular surgeons performing minimally invasive vein treatments. I'd look in your local paper or local angie's list to see what is available in your area and go for a consult. At least you would then have more information. The website www.Sirweb.Org has an app that can help find an interventional radiologist in your area if you are interested.

Answered Oct 3, 2016

5.3k views